7.14.2009

[home again, home again]

lapdesk-1
Hello friends. I'm finally back from my lovely trip. Finally back in my own glorious bed and slowly getting back into my dependable routine. When I get my act completely together and my head on straight I'll have pictures to share of the festivities, so stay tuned.

In the mean time I wanted to share with you my latest custom sewing project that I made for the car ride back home.
lapdesk-2
The day before we left to come back home I had the idea of sewing my own version of travel desk for little A. On the way out he was kept occupied with activity books, mazes and drawing pads with nothing but his little legs to rest them on. Everything I found in stores was lacking in either design or functionality so when my mother just happened to have the perfect size of masonite available, the wheels in my head started turning.
lapdesk-3
lapdesk-4
So off to JoAnn's I went (no time for fancy online fabric purchases...so I made do with what I could find locally). I have to give a nod to my sisters who were of great help in figuring out how to make this little creation come to life. Thank you D-lyn for all your sewing help and insight! It's thanks to you that I can now take the masonite board out and wash the entire thing! Something I wouldn't have figured out (or even thought of) if I had done it all on my own.
lapdesk-5
And of course Little A was happy with his desk and used it quite a bit for not only paper work but matching, fishing and magnet games. I'm so happy with it and even more pleased with how helpful it was for my little guy...something you can't put a price on for an 18 hr drive across the US.

28 comments:

  1. That is SO neat Mer!!!! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! I have a lap desk that I got from Barnes and Noble but it's nowhere near as functional. And it's washable? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I LOVE it.

    You may have to give more details.. we've got a trip to Utah coming up. I love it. Did you slide a piece of metal in there too to make it magnetic?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your brilliant as always! It reminds me to tell you that I wanted to add another cooperative project to our abundant list. A soft activity book that is hip and modern is really hard to find. I think we could do something pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow - that's fantastic! would you be willing to make another one and sell it?
    happyac at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative-you did a lovely job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the first pic! Cool shot. I also love your lap desk.....awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was really fun to create! Maybe we should sell patterns of it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously, if you have the time and inclination to make more, I'd buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is so clever, and I'm glad you had it. I'm leaving tomorrow to drive across the country, and I'm wondering how my little Evi will do with her lap activities. Too bad I have no sewing skills, or I'd probably be asking for instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. welcome back! what a wonderful and creative idea...

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great desk! just discovered your blog, it is GORGEOUS! look forward to reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh Brooke, i'm totally going to put a metal sheet in there for magnet activities now! He had other magnet games with their own tin lids but your idea is brilliant

    And to all...I'll most likely post a semi-tutorial of sorts...and perhaps sell a pdf pattern if I ever find the time. Thanks for all the love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is GENIUS!
    we frequently take 12+ hour trips and my 6 & 4 yr old daughters would LOOOOOVE these! no more losing crayons in the cracks of the seat... (ok well hopefully less!) pdf's please!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that first picture. Your freckles are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love it Mer! How lucky little A is to have such a talented and creative mother. I'm definitely going to have to figure out how to make one for Finn. We'll be going on a long trip very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just LOVE it. I wish I was so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a fantastic creative idea! Great way to stay organized too!

    Could you please please post the instructions to making this? I would really love to make this myself, except I'm not at your skill level so I really couldn't make it just from eye.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is so neat. you guys should make a pattern and sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's so cute! I'd love a tutorial/pattern if you have the time... although not sure I could do it as much justice as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I vote for instructions too!! Love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. love it. want one for sewing. what is masonite? I'm british so it's probably called something else over here. Perhaps I could just use a chopping board or something?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I just found your blog. It's great!!
    I was looking to make one of this for my little one. I really love yours. I'm very interested in the semi-tutorial and would buy the pattern. i love the design!

    ReplyDelete